Required Application Documents
PG Dip - LLM - MPhil: Coursework programme applications
Applicants must apply online and supply the following supporting documents:
- Certified copies of full academic transcripts, including a grading legend from your institution explaining the local marking system
- Full CV
- 500 word motivation for proposed study
- Names and contact details of two referees (at least one of which is academic)
- Proof of English proficiency (if necessary)
For further information on requirements for coursework programmes, contact Clare Richfield in the Faculty Office.
PhD and Research Masters applications
Applicants/ candidates must apply online through UCT's Central Admissions Office. The following documents are required for online applications for research degree programmes:
- A brief CV
- Official transcript (unless the applicant is a UCT graduate)
- Contact details of two academic referees
- A 3-4 page (1500 words) research statement (the statement of interest form can be found here).
Once your application for a research degree programme (PhD, LLM and MPhil research degrees) has been submitted, the Higher Degrees Committee (HDC) may refer the application to a possible supervisor to assess the viability of the subject. The proposal, together with the supervisor’s report, is then submitted to the HDC.
The HDC may approve full registration or it may recommend provisional registration for a period of up to six months, during which time the applicant will be required to improve the thesis proposal with the assistance of a prospective supervisor. In addition, the applicant may be asked to fulfil one or more of the following requirements:
- attend certain courses, including regular attendance at the Writing Centre
- present a seminar on the research topic
- undergo an oral examination
- submit a piece of work written for another university, such as an assignment or minor dissertation
- comply with any other conditions considered necessary.
At the end of a period of provisional registration, the HDC may recommend:
- registration for LLM/MPhil
- registration for LLM/MPhil, with the possibility of upgrading to PhD
- registration for a PhD.
For further information on requirements for research degree applications, contact Patricia Phillips in the Faculty Office.