Home > Applying > Foreign Students > International Study Permit
Foreign Students

International Study Permit

International students are required to obtain a study permit to study in South Africa. This includes students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Study permits are obtained from the South African Embassy/High Commission or Consulate in your home country and will give you entry into South Africa for study purposes. You will need between 4 and 6 weeks for your application to be processed. Therefore, it is advisable for you to apply for the study permit as soon as you receive your letter of offer from the Faculty of Law. To apply for a study permit you will need:

  • A valid passport (must be valid for the period of the visa for which you are applying)
  • A letter of acceptance from UCT
  • A completed application form (B1-159G) (obtainable from the South African Embassy or Consulate)
  • Permit fee as prescribed by the Embassy or consulate
  • A deposit for repatriation
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your studies at UCT (a letter from your sponsors/ bankers stating that there are sufficient funds to cover both tuition and accommodation fees)
  • A written undertaking to leave South Africa on completion of studies and
  • Proof of medical insurance cover (It is your responsibility to contact the insurance company).


There are some important things to remember regarding your study permit:

  • You will NOT be able to enter South Africa or be able to register at UCT without a study permit.

  • You need to ensure that your study permit remains valid throughout the duration of your residence at the UCT

  • You have to apply for your initial or first permit from your home country and the subsequent renewal thereof must be done from within South Africa.

  • When you come to UCT to register, you must present your study permit as well as a copy of the receipt for the repatriation guarantee deposited with the South African representative in your home country.

  • A foreign student who has completed the coursework for the LLM, MPhil or PGDip Programmes and who has returned to his/her home country to write the dissertation/research component of the qualification is no longer required to have a study permit at that stage.

  • All enquiries regarding the above requirements can be directed to the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO). Their contact details are below or you can visit their website.

Tel: +27 +21 650 2822/3740
Fax: +27 +21 650 5667